Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Baby-Making Time



First, we had the college romances. Then, there were the exciting and, well to be honest, expected engagements. Next, the imminent wedding planning, bridal showers, and bachelorette parties. Finally, the big day; stressful for everyone but still a day all girls look forward to: their wedding day. I was thrilled that my twin sister was getting hitched. She was happy and I was happy for her. A few months later, my other best friend also tied the knot. On a side note, those were just two weddings that year. I was in two more and attended at least 3 others that year.

Anyway, I eventually got used to the idea that my best friends were part of permanent couples while I remained the single girlfriend who they still live vicariously through. Believe me, I don't mind. It's kind of therapeutic to talk to them about dating drama. But fast-forward a couple of years, and BAM, they're pregnant and about to leave me in the dust AGAIN. Lol, I'm being overly dramatic but, I'm slightly serious when I say "Well darn, I still haven't caught up to this bandwagon and they throw another speed bump in my path." Fortunately, we've all remained close in the last few years as we've all worked on graduate school degrees, careers, moved, and settled into homes. I was worried at first, but everything worked out, I still had close relationships my beasties.

But this time, I know it will be different. They will not only have the role of wife to manage, they'll be mothers. I can't imagine how this life-changing event will affect them individually, but I know that I am slightly anxious to see how it will affect our semi-annual Girl Nights Out and three-way chat sessions. Maybe, motherhood will strengthen an already great friendship. Maybe it will make it tougher to keep in touch. Either way, I know that I will do my best to remind them that I can still be their escape away by sharing my crazy stories. I can even babysit to give 'em a break every now and then. Hey, what are friends for right? But most importantly, I want them to remember that I'm always here for them no matter what. Even though I may feel slightly threatened by the arrival of a new niece and nephew, I am so excited to meet them and I am ready and willing be along for the ride ahead: roadblocks, speed bumps, and all. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Awww I will always have time to have fun and chat with you for hours each day! That's why there is daycare and Shomari ;)

    ReplyDelete